Erickson Family Granola
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cups sliced almonds, pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ to ½ cup ground flax seed, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups of your favorite dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries, chopped apricots, etc.), optional
Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Combine the oats, nuts, brown sugar, flax seed, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Stir the oil, honey and vanilla together in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 80% power until warm, 20 to 30 seconds. Pour the oil mixture over the oat mixture and stir until thoroughly coated. Spread the oat mixture in a 15-by-10-inch baking pan and bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Remove the granola from the oven and let cool completely before adding any optional dried fruit. Store granola in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Makes about 7 cups
|MORE AE RECIPES|