Grandma Erickson's Mac 'n Cheese
- ½ of a 14.5-ounce box of elbow macaroni (we like whole grain pasta)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we like a combination of colby, sharp Cheddar and Havarti)
- 1 container (12 ounces) AE Cottage Cheese (any variety)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 15 saltine crackers, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups AE Milk (any variety)
- Freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick spray; set aside. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the shredded cheeses, cottage cheese and garlic salt. Fold in the drained macaroni and transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with the crumbled crackers, dot with butter and sprinkle with pepper. Carefully pour enough milk along the side of the dish (without disturbing the cracker topping) so that you can just see it around the edges. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.
This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish for a larger group.
Makes 6-8 servings
|MORE AE RECIPES|